Tawaf, as we all know, is one of the most important rituals of both the Hajj and Umrah pilgrimages. The word “tawaf” is derived from the Arabic verb “Taafa,” which implies “to encircle something” or “to walk around anything.” Tawaf in Islam refers to circling the Holy Kabah 7 times in an anti-clockwise direction, with each circle beginning and ending at Hajr-al-Aswad located in the eastern corner of the Sacred Kabah. The vast majority of Muslims are completely oblivious that Islam acknowledges five distinct types of Tawaf, each of which is practiced differently.
If you want to perform Umrah, then it is necessary for you to contact the best-known travel agency named “Muslims Holy Travel”. You will get a great opportunity from there by booking one of the best 12 Nights Umrah packages 2021-2022 with luxury facilities. But first, you should have the proper knowledge about each and every aspect of performing Umrah including tawaf and other rituals. So, let’s have a quick look at the 5 Distinct types of Tawaf in Islam to learn more about them.
Another name for tawaf al-Qudoom is the Arrival Tawaf because it is performed after entering Makkah before starting the major Pilgrimage. This kind of Tawaf is compulsory for Muslims going from outside the Meeqat boundary to do Hajj-E-Qiran and Hajj-E-Ifrad before Wuquf on at least the 9th of Dhul-Hijjah. Pilgrims must wear Ihram while doing this kind of Tawaf, and also it is Sunnah to undertake Idtiba and Raml.
Pilgrims who want to undertake Umrah except for the Hajj season or who want to accomplish Hajj al-Tamattu do this kind of Tawaf. Those who reside outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and plan to conduct both Umrah and Hajj at the same time commonly perform Hajj al-Tammattu. Normally, they will undertake Umrah first, followed by Tawaf al-Umrah, before proceeding to Hajj. This kind of Tawaf is an essential ritual, and Umrah remains incomplete without it. This kind of Tawaf is done while wearing Ihram.
Nafl Tawaf is a kind of voluntary Tawaf that can be performed at any time, by anyone, and in any amount. In Masjid-E-Haram, people usually perform Tawaf-E-Nafl whenever they want. If you’re in Makkah for any purpose, make the most of your leisure time by performing Tawaf-E-Nafl.
4. Tawaf-E-Ifada Or Tawaf-E-Ziyarah:
All pilgrims must perform Tawaf-al-Ifada or Tawaf-al-Ziyarah after getting free from sacrifice, Halq or Taqseer (shaving the head or cutting hair), & leaving the Ihram state and changed into a regular dress. On the 10th of Dhul-Hijjah, pilgrims perform this Tawaf before returning to Mina for performing Rami At Jamarat. Moreover, it is a great Sunnah to do Raml during Tawaf-E-Ifada.
5. Tawaf-Al-Widaa Or Farewell Tawaf:
Farewell, or Tawaf-al-Widaa is a Hajj ritual that pilgrims from outside of Meeqat must perform. People who live inside the Meeqat boundaries, on the other hand, are not necessary to do this Tawaf. This Tawaf is the last ritual in Makkah before moving on to the next place. This Tawaf does not require the Ihram state and can be performed in regular clothes.
Guidelines About Performing Tawaf Are As Follow:
1. Despite the fact that there are different kinds of Tawaf, the method of performing it remains the same. The steps to perform Tawaf as described by the Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) are as follows:
2. To do tawaf, pilgrims must first perform Wudu (ablution).
3. Both men and women must cover their private parts for performing tawaf.
4. The Hajr-E-Aswad is where pilgrims must start and end their tawaf. The starting and finishing points of Tawaf are marked by Hajr-al-Aswad.
5. It is permissible for women to perform all Hajj rituals during their menstrual cycle, except tawaf and Sai.
6. Pilgrims while performing tawaf must be cautious not to enter the Hateem area or Hajr-E-Ismail (AS). Because this area is a part of the Sacred Kabah, you must encircle it instead of entering it. The round will be invalid if anyone enters Hateem while doing tawaf.
7. Tawaf must always be completed in seven rounds and it will be invalid if you miss even one round.